Why Reuse Is Important
Playback Sports is not just about selling used sporting goods. It is a community of people (7000 active consigners) who are committed to creating a new paradigm of reuse and recycling goods.
Why reuse is important
Textiles are one of the fastest growing waste streams in the world, even though they are highly reusable and recyclable. On average, Americans throw away 70 lbs. of clothing per year, creating 3.8 billion pounds of unnecessary waste going into landfills. Taking into account the extraction of resources, manufacture of materials, distribution, sale and final disposal, the reuse and recycling of clothing is a much more environmentally friendly option compared to purchasing new clothing made from virgin materials.
What has been accomplished since 2010
Playback Sports was awarded Washington State Recycling Association 2019 Recycler of the Year – Reuse Champion
- 30,000 articles of clothing processed and resold
- 11,000 pairs of shoes processed and resold
- ±125 bikes donated to ‘Bikes for Kids’
- >3,000 bikes sold since 2010
- ± 12 stolen bikes returned to their rightful owners
- ± 3,000 lbs. of clothing and footwear re-circulated annually to local charities
- ±48 soccer balls donated to mission programs in Mexico and Central America
- Over $1.2M in consignor payouts locally
- Hundreds of hats, gloves and coats donated to local coat drives and local schools.
- Baseball gear donated to local youth in the Dominican Republic.